WORLD WATER DAY PHOTO CONTEST: THE VALUE OF WATER: WHAT DOES WATER MEAN TO YOU?
U.S. Embassy Cyprus, the Technical Committee on the Environment, and the United Nations in Cyprus (UNFICYP and OSASG-Cyprus) take pleasure in announcing a Youth Photo Contest in honor of World Water Day on 22 March 2021. The photo contest will invite Greek Cypriots and Turkish Cypriots aged 18-29 to submit original photos that represent this year’s World Water Day theme, “The value of water: What does water mean to you?” More information about this theme is available at: https://www.worldwaterday.org/.
Climate change is already having a noticeable impact on access to fresh water around the world, with grave consequences for human livelihoods and ecosystems. The Eastern Mediterranean, which is already water scarce, has been identified as one of the hotspots for soaring temperatures, droughts, and irregular rain patterns.
This photo contest is an opportunity for young Greek Cypriots and Turkish Cypriots to be a part of the conversation by sharing their perspectives on the importance of water for the island and in their lives.
Youth Photo Contest Guidelines
- All submissions must be sent by 12:00 Cyprus time on 31 March 2021 to firstname.lastname@example.org(link sends e-mail);
- Participants must include their name and email address with their submissions, along with a statement of no more than 100 words describing how their photo relates to the theme;
- Participants must be aged 18-29 years old;
Photograph submission guidelines
- Photographs will be evaluated based on their connection to the theme, innovative quality and aesthetic merit;
- Participants may submit any original photograph they have taken within the past 12 months; and the photograph may not have already been published professionally;
- Images should be in JPG or PNG digital format, 5MB or less;
- Photographs may not include any person’s face or other identifying feature;
- Only one submission per person is permitted;
- Participants grant U.S. Embassy Cyprus, the Technical Committee on the Environment, and United Nations missions in Cyprus permission to use and / or reproduce the digital image submitted to the contest.